Artists: Régis Jocteur Monrozier and Louis Clais
Exhibition title: Cuisine Tranquille
Curated by: Komplot
Venue: Komplot, Brussels, Belgium
Date: April 2 – May 7, 2016
Photography: Ilse Raps, all images copyright and courtesy of the artists and Komplot
The installation Cuisine Tranquille reproduces a traditional kitchen showroom. The standard classical modes of the showroom are modified to collate a set of innovative objects and functional furniture (‘unique items available for custom application’). The kitchen is designed for a fictional couple, the Adam and Eve of a modern advertising narrative.
The sculptural showrooms of Régis Jocteur Monrozier are surprising playlets, funny and generous, sitting between a 3D strip cartoon and the retouched chic of an early 80s publicity photo. Louis Clais creates decorative items, sculptures, prototypes and designs built like ‘a wild garden in which young shoots and the old oaks live together’.
This is their first collaboration.
« Adam lives on minimex* and is dedicated to his research on herbivore insects.
Eve lives on private income and spends much of her time in the Thalys.
When she has a little time, she likes to spend it in the kitchen with Adam, her
This kitchen is their safe haven, place of reunion and privacy.
It was custom made listening to their needs by Louis Clais & Régis Jocteur Monrozier.
The Tranquil Kitchen of Adam and Eve is unique. They will realize your own, at home, with their expertise. »
– Carbonasnake 6000 (6000 Kelvin lamp, eggs, bacon, olive oil, silicone, plastic tube)
– Clock Brocoli-Midi (Clock, anti-aging cream, broccoli, kumquats, ‘Paris mushrooms’)
– Fridge Viager (Refrigerator, lacquer, eggs, clematis vitalba also known as Old man’s beard)
– Oven Viager (Electric oven, yew and ebony)
– Bluetooth Speaker (bluetooth speaker, clay of Houlgate, faience, cheese, wood filler, pewter cup, self-hardening clay)
– Salt & Pepper shakers (Aluminium, exotic wood)
– Hanger for grapes (Aluminium)
– Sink furniture (Oak, wood filler, pine, various varnishes, brass, copper, silicon, ceramic, mica powder)
– Trash (Various waste)
– Flytrap (Sticky preparation: painting medium + honey, insects, acrylic)
– Nose clip (Rosewood)
– Cupboard (Oak wood, cheese, marbles chips, marine varnishes)
– Disposable egg cup (Cellulose paste)
– Thermos (Plastic, beauty cream, apple, nettle)
– Bowl (Bread)
– Corkscrew (Mastic sealant, bread dough, dyes, steel)
– Tea box Saint-Denis (Lasagna, hot glue, green tea Sencha, monk’s pepper, flint)
– Earrings (Nickel, varnishes)
– Coffee ball (Coffee, glue)
– Apron (Cotton, acrylic, Velcro)
– Coffee cup shelf (Cherry wood, paper cups)
– Dining table (Pernambuco wood, oak, pine, ebony, wood filler)
– Stools (MDF, oak, varnish, lacquer, apple label)
– Plates (Stone)
– Glasses (Bones, rosewood)
– Cutlery (Acetate)
– Whistle (Pin, pigeon tea)
– Pick-crumb (Yew branch, cellulose paste, aluminium, plastic fiber)
– Skewer (Ebony, raw eggs)
– Linens, towels (Cotton, pearly fabric paint)
– Multi socket (Clay, detergent, electric wire)
– Walls (Savory green paint, Velcros)
– Floor (Clay soil, flints, apple tree)