Artists: Petter Ballo, Sol Calero, Ieva Kraule, Michael Queenland
Exhibition title: Curated By A Tree
Venue: 1857, Oslo, Norway
Date: October 14 – November 20, 2016
Photography: Jon Lundell, all images copyright and courtesy of the artists and 1857, Oslo
– So, what’s going on here?
– … mmhnh.
– What was that?
– I can’t hear you through all this sawdust.
– I’m growing a branch.
– Well, you’d better hurry up about it. People will get here soon.
– If you have a friend who is dear to you, visit him often, for the thickets grow dense and the grass is tall on the road traveled by no one.
– What’s that supposed to mean?
– Words of wisdom. My roots run deep.
– The wind won’t throw you anytime soon.
– I am grounded. Like Yggdrasil the world tree with its three roots spanning the underworld. For years my limbs stretched to the sky, with nests for birds to sit and sing.
– You are broken? Or re-assembled?
– Rise when you have questions to ask. He who answers shall sit.
It was never my intention to grow to this size. My branches came one by one. I did not plan to reach so high. You say I am broken. I am a giant who sat down.